My Album Available Now!

Hope Horner: Vacancy

Saturday, July 6, 2013

Wheelbarrow

A bit of introduction to place this poem in context....
Soren Kierkegaard describes a person without a centering point in their life (faith in God was his center point) as "a drunken peasant who lies in the back of a wagon and sleeps and lets the horses shift for themselves."

WHEELBARROW 

Push me!
Slosh me around, Oh Captain!
Take me where you will in your wheelbarrow.
I'm wild, wayward,
wasted.
I go where you go
like a drunk on a bus
in this unforgiving, red seat 
that barely holds me.
My legs splay.
My elbows clamp.
My head rolls.
Push me!
Don't spill me out.
Take me to the hill
to the top 
where I can see what Pious Piper calls you up,
what pulls you to the peak.
Then, 
there, 
Oh Captain,
when you stop at the edge,
I will teeter in drunken despair
alone
and plead
Push me!


Who the heck was Kierkegaard? Click here for Wiki link.
Copyright Hope A. Horner, 2013. Use with permission only. Contact author on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/hopeh1122 Follow on Twitter @HopeNote

No comments:

Post a Comment