My Album Available Now!

Hope Horner: Vacancy

Saturday, June 8, 2013

Drive You Out of My Mind


I have to drive you out of my mind--
press down on the black tar interstate that splits the cactus and the poppies.
Part the opulent heat from here 
to Avenue A.
I have to pull ahead,
left of the pregnant Winnebago with Arizona plates, 
right of the Harley with the patriotic tail,
through the center of sweet water canyon 
brown and grooved like a walnut shell.
I have to pull off--
cross the overpass lined with trash 
and orange suits that bend and bag.
Pause where the signal light blinks—red, gone, red;
Rest my arm on the windowsill of my car.
Exhale acrid exhaust through paper mache lips,
my eyes like marbles in a sand pit.
Red, gone, red.
I proceed.
Pass Foster's Freeze--
a faded blue oasis of locked bathrooms,
plastic umbrellas casting crooked shade, 
french fries filling insatiable pigeons.

I have to pass,
turn on to the gray gravel road that circles your park,
where rust bites its way through posted signs:
No lifeguard on duty!
Dogs must be on leash.
Visitor parking only.
Each square has a number and a lawn like a hot spot on a dog's back--
rough, raw and unkempt.

I have to proceed.
roll by the metal boxes
with floral sheet curtains,
sleepy cats on couch backs
trucks that pout in driveways,
carports that bow their heads in reverence to past snowfalls.
I have to pull over,
Park;
Follow the crushed white stones between the potted plants and pink oleander
up two thick concrete steps to your door.
I have to press--
Press and wait;
bite my lip, study my shoelaces,
pinch the back of my shirt to fan the sweaty circle brought on by vinyl

and a hundred miles 
of driving you out of my mind.

- Copyright Hope A. Horner 2013. Use with permission by author.
Let me know what you think! (Constructive criticism welcome!) 
Contact on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/hopeh1122
Follow on Twitter @HopeNote

1 comment:

  1. WOW. This is REALLY REALLY GOOD, Hope!
    Love your choice of ADJECTIVES.
    Love the RHYTHM.

    Are you going to turn it into a song?

    P.S. I E'd my Cousin (Non-Fiction Writer) re: On-Line Support Groups, but she never replied back... :(

    ReplyDelete